Prof. Dr.-Ing. Ulrich HeuteRoom F-101
Kaiserstraße 2, 24143 Kiel, Germany
Phone: +49 431 880-6147
Telefax: +49 431 880-6128
|1993 - 2010||Head of the Institute for Circuit and System Theory (LNS), Faculty of Engineering (tf), Christian-Albrechts-University Kiel|
|1987 - 1993||Prof. / Head of Working Group for Digital Signal Processing (AG DSV), Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Ruhr-University, Bochum|
|1983 - 1987||Senior Engineer / Head of Speech Processing Group at Inst. for Telecommunications (LNT) / TF / Univ. Erlangen|
|1982||Habilitation on "DFT / FFT Error Analysis"|
|1975||Dissertation on "Realization Aspects of Nonrecursive Digital Filters" with Prof. H. W. Schuessler|
|1970 - 1982||Teaching Assistent at LNT / TF / Univ. Erlangen|
|1968 - 1970||Thesis works with Profs. Kohn (1968), Lotze / Kuehn (1969), Bader / Lueder (1970), Stuttgart|
|1965 - 1970||Student of EE / "Theory of Telecommunications" at Univ. Stuttgart|
|1964 - 1965||Army Service|
|1951 - 1964||School at Hannover and Stuttgart|
|1944||Born at Magdeburg|
- Digital Filters - from Theory via Design to Implementations
- Spectral Analysis - Parametric and Non-parametric via Filter Banks
- Speech Processing - Analysis, Modelling, Coding, Noise Reduction, Quality Measurement
- Bio-Medical Signal Processing - ECG, EEG, MEG
- General DSP - Audio, Radar, Sonar, Animal Sounds etc.
- Head of Exam' Office / EE / RUB / Bochum from 1990 until 1992
- Head of Exam Office / TF / CAU / Kiel from 1994 until 1998
- "Dekan"(Dean) of TF / CAU / Kiel from 1998 until 2000
- "Prodekan" of TF / CAU / Kiel from 1996 until 1998 and from 2000 until 2002
- AdCom Member of EURASIP (European Association for Signal Processing) from 1984 until 2000
- Secretary-Treasurer of EURASIP from 09 / 88 until 09 / 94
- President of EURASIP from 09 / 94 until 09 /98
- Advisory-Commitee Member of EURASIP since 2000
- Member of Organizing Committee for EUSIPCO ` 83 at Erlangen
- Chairman of 1-st EURASIP Workshop on Medium-Rate Speech Coding, Hersbruck, 1985
- Organizer of ITG Workshop on DSP Algorithms, Hersbruck, 1987
- Chairman of EURASIP Workshop on Speech & Channel Coding, Hersbruck, 1989
- Co-Organizer of EURASIP / ITG / DEGA Workshop on Speech-Quality Assessment, Bochum, 1994
- Co-Organizer of EURASIP / ITG Workshop on Speech, Audio, and Image Quality, Darmstadt, 1996
- Co-Organizer of DAGA '97, Kiel, 1997
- Member of ITG Speech-Processing Committee
- Organizer of ITG-Fachtagung Sprachkommunikation '06, Kiel 2006
- Possessive Thinking
- Work with Students
- International Cooperation!
- Family with 2 Children!!!
- No Time Left!
Selected Publications - Articles
- Hardware Considerations for Digital FIR Filters Especially with Regard to Linear Phase, Sel. Papers Dig.Sig.Proc., IEEE Press, New York 1976, pp. 536-540.
- FFT Processor for Real-Time Applications within the Audio-Frequency Range. Frequenz, vol. 33 (1979), pp. 310-316.
- A Short-Time Spectrum Analyser with Polyphase Network and DFT (with P. Vary). Signal Processing, vol. 3 (1980), pp. 55-65 (part I) and vol. 4 (1981), pp.307-319 (part II).
- Results of a Deterministic Analysis of FFT Coefficient Errors. Signal Processing, vol. 4 (1981), pp. 321-331.
- Improving A/D Conversion by digital Signal Processing - Novel Solutions for Known Problems, and New Problems. Frequenz, vol. 42 (1988), pp. 93-101.
- Medium-Rate Speech Coding - Trial of a Review. Speech. Comm., vol 7 (1988), pp. 125-149.
- Subband DFT (with S.Mitra, O. Shentov, A.N. Hossen). Signal Processing, vol. 41 (1995), pp. 261-277 (part I) and vol. 41 (1995), pp. 279-294 (part II).
- Structural Subband Decomposition of Sequences and its Applications in Signal Processing (with S. Mitra). IEE Proc. Vis. Image Process., vol.146 (1999), pp. 109-123.
- Spectral-Substraction Speech Enhancement in Multirate Systems with and without Non-uniform and Adaptive Bandwidths (with T. Gülzow and T. Ludwig). Signal Processing, vol. 83 (2003), pp. 1613-1631.
- Parametric Modelling of Decomposed Subbands: Resolution Improvement and Applications for Narrow-Band Signals (with A. N. Hossen). Signal Processing Vol. 84 (2004), pp. 2195-2206.
- DSP Approaches towards Instrumental Measurement of Communication-System Quality. Proceed. ICCCP'07, Muscat, Oman, 2007.
- Aspects of Speech-Quality Assessment (with H. W. Gierlich, S. Möller). Proc. ITG Conf. Speech Communication, Aachen, 2008.
- A New Approach for Parameterizing the ECG for Sleep-Stage Classification (with H. Özer). Proc. IFMBE 25 \ IV, pp. 1044-1047, München, 2009.
- Muscle-Artifact Suppression Using Independent-Component Analysis and State-Space Modeling (with A. Santillán-Guzmán, A. Galka). Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. EMBS (EMBC'12), San Diego, pp. 6500-6503.
- Identification of Sleep Stages from Heart-Rate Variability Using a Soft-Decision Wavelet-Based Technique (with A. N. Hossen, H. Özer). Dig. Sig. Process. (Elsevier) vol. 23 (2013), pp. 218-229.
- Removing "Cleaned" Eye-Blinking Artifacts from EEG Measurements. Proc. Int. Conf. Sig. Process. Integr. Networks (SPIN'14), Delhi-Noida, pp. 576-580.
- Quality Prediction of Synthesized Speech Based on Perceptual Quality Dimensions (with C. R. Norrenbrock, F. Hinterleitner, S. Möller). Speech Comm. (Elsevier) vol. 66 (2015), pp. 17-35.
Selected Publications - Books and Book Chapters
- Digitale Sprachsignalverarbeitung (in German), with P. Vary, W. Hess. Teubner, Stuttgart, 1998.
- Speech and Audio Coding - Aiming at High Quality and Low Data Rates, in: J. Blauert (Ed.): Communication Acoustics, pp. 339-366, Springer, Berlin, New York, 2005.
- Noise Reduction, in: E. Hänsler, G. Schmidt (Eds.):Topics in Acoustic Echo and Noise Control, pp. 325-384, Springer, Berlin, New York, 2006.
- A New Testbed for Semi-Automatic Usability Evaluation and Optimization of Spoken-Dialogue Systems , in: Hempel, T. (Ed.):Usability of Speech Dialog Systems, pp. 81-103, Springer, Berlin, 2008.
- Telephone-Speech Quality, in: E. Hänsler, G. Schmidt (Eds.): Topics in Speech and Audio Signal Processing in Adverse Environments, pp. -, Springer, Berlin, New York, 2008.
- Speech-Transmission Quality: Aspects and Assessment of Wideband vs. Narrowband Signals, in: R. Martin, U. Heute, C. Antweiler (Eds.): Advances in Digital Speech Transmission, pp. -, Wiley, New York, 2008.
- Efficient Speech Coding and Transmission over Noisy Channels, in: Havelock, D., Kuwano, S., Vorländer, M. (Eds.): Handbook of Signal Processing in Acoustics, pp. 853-882, Springer, New York 2009.